Friday, January 28, 2011

Money Saving Tip of the day: Make your own laundry detergent...



I've been making my own laundry soap for years now and love it. With FREE bar soap, all the time, I can make it for as low as .04 a load! (I make the dry kind. The liquid is even cheaper- but it's scary looking and I don't have space for a 5 gallon bucket in my laundry space. I have my G-ma making her own now as well as some of my friends. I've taught this in several Relief Society meetings too! Here is how I make it:

5 Cups- Washing Soda ( Found at Fred Meyer in the detergent area- yellow box)= $ 3.00
5 Cups- Borax ( Found at: Walmart, Target & Fred Meyer= $ 3.00
5 bars- soap ( I've used: Zest, Ivory & Dove)= FREE w/coupons

(This will use the entire box of Washing soda & leave 1 cup remaining of Borax)
Washes 135 loads of laundry (yes, I counted!)


Grate 5 bars of soap until fine or blend in food processor (1 bar at a time) In a bowl or mixer stir/blend 5 cups of Washing soda & 5 cups of Borax together. Add soap to Washing Soada & Borax mixture & stir.
(The laundry soap will not get sudsy like some detergents, but don't worry, it's working!) I always pre treat any stains before washing!
I gave laundry soap as gifts for Christmas this year too! Hope that inspires you!

No comments:

Post a Comment